Saturday, May 12, 2012

Hoggie Love



Truthfully I have mixed emotions about our recently discovered guests... a family of ground hogs living under our front step. The babies are cute, and I'm always happy when wildlife finds our yard a safe place to live. However, I would prefer that they lived in the wild, brushy area out back and NOT under my step, where they could do severe damage to the foundation to my home! They've also given my malamute, Drakko, a case of O.G.D. - obsessive ground hog disorder! He is constantly going to the front window looking for the hoggies. When they are there he lets out quite the bark (he rarely ever barks normally). They are driving him nuts (hmmm - well, ok, nuttier than he started out at) !


With a bit of research I have learned that our lawn is the perfect smorgasbord for ground hogs, since it consists primarily of clover and dandelions, with very little grass. At least they were smart enough not to take up residence in our back yard where the dogs could find them. What a mess that would be!

They also inspired me to make not one, but TWO cards... I don't actually have any ground hog images, but I do have some cute Penny Black hedge hog images from the T for transparent set. Close enough I say.

Up first - momma and poppa... though I don't think I've seen poppa hanging around the den, he was definitely involved at some point! {grin}


Can I just say that I'm falling in LOVE with my spellbinders nestabilities?! I used one of the 40% off coupons for the local A.C. Moore store on this half set, and can't seem to get enough of them. I think I need to get some circles (plain and scalloped) next! During that trip I also picked up the My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Madison Avenue 6x6 paper pad. Not usually a pink fan, I am enjoying the color combinations in this pack, and the designs coordinate so well, it's easy to mix and match and get great results!

Up next - the babies...


We have seen four babies out at once, how ironic that the Penny Black stamp set has this little row of four different hedge hogs on it!  I think the sentiment should really say sending hogs and kisses for a little touch of humor...  {grin}  I didn't plan it, but after I got the card assembled, I noticed that the heart seems to be growing bigger as it progresses toward the front of the 'parade'.  I used more My Mind's Eye paper, this time from the Fine and Dandy Boy 6x6 pad with the scrap of left-over red from the reverse of a piece used on the first card.

I tend to be a "tree hugger" and do as much as possible to make my yard animal friendly, however this family must move out. We're working on a relocation option, and then I'll be filling the hole as much as I can, and sealing it off with cement. Hopefully any future ground hogs will choose to reside in the "wild zone" of our yard, and no more interventions will be necessary!


We're having a beautiful sunny day here today, sending some your way~
~Kathy

1 comment:

Carol L said...

WOW! I'd be nervous if ground hogs made their home so close to mine! Relocation is a must before they destroy your beautiful back yard!
Your cards are so cute with those critters, and I love the papers and colors on the first. The 2nd is precious with all those red hearts. And to answer your question - no, my stash never seems to diminish! LOL I mailed out a huge box to the grands just this morning filled with stickers, papers, punches and scissors! Hopefully they'll have fun with it on rainy days ;)