Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tim Holtz Inspired Tag...

It's been ages since I've posted...  and nearly as long since I've played with my crafting supplies.

Last year I stumbled upon Tim Holtz's blog, and his 12 days of Christmas Tags, and I've been following along again this year.  I've been inspired to play with what I've got (mostly because I only have one pad of distress ink, and two distress stain dabbers). 

It's taken me about 4 days to create my tag, but it's done, and I'm happy with it!


Since I've only got a few dies and embossing folders I had to get a little creative.  To create the greenery for the mistle toe I did a bit of fussy cutting the scrap pieces of the green embossed piece at the base of the card.

The tag needed a bit of sparkle, so I adhered a piece of aluminum foil to some card stock using spray adhesive and then punched out several snowflakes.  Using some rhinestone stickers (purchased during a rare "girlie glitz" moment at the store), I added the red centers to the snowflakes for a bit more pop.  I love how Tim isn't afraid to go out past the edges - seeing his finished products provided the freedom to let parts of my design go outside the "box" formed by the tag edges.

I liked Tim's gift card idea from day two, so I created a pocket on the back to tuck a gift card into.  I think it'll look cute hanging on the tree, as a disguised package!


Oh, and I used the ribbon technique from one of Operation Write Home's Stars and Stamps tutorials (found here) - it adds a little pop to the back of the card and a little extra stability to hold the gift card in place.

~Kathy

1 comment:

Debi said...

Yeah!!! Good to see you back into creative mode! LOVE the tags, especially love the(pocket idea!) You have me hooked on tag making, again!