Saturday, December 17, 2011

Girlie Pink Hearts...

I've been supporting troops stationed overseas for several years now through various organizations.  In the middle of October I learned that one of "my guys" would get to come home early - woo hoo!  He had one request - would I mind writing to one of his buddies who would still be in Afghanistan.  Umm - of course! 

So I start writing to my new soldier.  Nothing special, just tales of our crazy dogs, and our adventures in learning how to ride mountain bikes.  A letter each week - nothing elaborate, or all that exciting...  then early in December I open my mailbox to find "free mail" (a letter from Afghanistan).  Lo and behold my new soldier is a chatty, writer type (even more surprising as he's 23 years old!)  {smile}

So, I thought I might surprise him with a little set of note cards that he can send home to his wife and young kids... 

I saw this swirly sheet of loose paper at A.C. Moore and thought it would be perfect for some hearts and love cards for part of the set.  Here are the two I've created so far...

The first one lets the swirly paper shine, and makes use of a new Sissix die.  The heart is popped up on foam tape.  Yes, this is pink paper and anyone who knows me is likely wondering who took over and is writing this.  But, I picked up a variety pack of cardstock, and it came with several shades of pink.  This seemed like a nice fit to use up some of the pale shade for the base of the card. 

The second one is basic and simple, and makes me think of love budding and flowering over time.  The Sissix flourish die is also new to my collection.  The small hearts were punched from scraps after I hand cut all of the larger hearts free hand.

Even though these aren't specifically Valentine's cards, I think they still qualify for the OWH Valentine challenge - pink hearts always make me think of Valentine's Day anyway... 

Thanks for visiting!
~Kathy

3 comments:

Debi said...

Pretty! And I bet his wife will love them! :O)
I am also making cards today... water colors! ;O)!! Funny how that works...

Love, Mom!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Very nice! He's going to love them (: Thanks for playing in our midweek throwdown challenge at Operation Write Home!

Linda said...

Super nice cards! That second card does look like love budding! TFS!!!